Monday, March 12, 2012

California Soul

To say the least, our climate has been as predictable as an adolescent. Sunday was one of the days where your child actually astonished you with normalcy and grace. They cooperated.


The confluence of our daily work can leave us depleted or in the case of Sunday, energized. Attitude and influences swirl together and provide an unknown outcome..... maybe. Our processes of the inputs yield the output more than we can imagine. 


In the fourth score of my life I drove in to the life of a triathlete. The better term is a weekend warrior. Crafting a goal was not the end but it was a means of diverting negative energy from a divorce. Acting, tracking, executing, being myopic produced results that fed upon themselves. Here at 45 years old I was out pacing those "adolescents". The only reason was I believed I was good. 


Looking back, those few early success in races was probably not because of my endurance and speed but because the field was slow. As a green horn to the sport, I didn't know any different and so my subconscious fed on that positive reinforcement and drove me to become better. So much so I actually swam, biked and ran over 300 miles in one week while holding a full time job.


The result? I was never happier in my life about my accomplishments.


But that is so small compared to what others have faced. I recently listened to Marlena Shaw and realized the overwhelming struggles some have. How long they work to succeed and find peace to enjoy a sunny warm Sunday. 


Find strength in those.
Reach out and learn from them.
The greatest gift you have to give is yourself.


I leave you with this picture and for those of you old enough...... just remember the simpler times!


What will I build?

What will you build?

No comments:

Post a Comment